Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Smoked Scotch Eggs

Ever had a Scotch Egg in a bar?  Basically, it is a hard boiled egg, wrapped in sausage, rolled in bread crumbs, and deep fried until done.  Slice in half and serve with hot sauce and you have a great snack with a cold beer.

Well, I decided to try at home on the Stumps Baby.

So, I flattened a hunk of bulk breakfast sausage and wrapped the egg inside:



I got my Stumps Backyarder screaming hot and placed the eggs on the grill.  I rolled them around for about 5 minutes until they got nice and brown all over.  At the same time, I brought the Baby up to 375 with hickory chunks in the ash pan.

I placed the eggs on the bottom rack and cooked for 30 minutes, turning once 15 minutes into the cook.

Final product?




I doused with some Texas Pete and it was soooo good.  Sausage was moist and juicy and crusty on the outside.  

Now, if I can just figure out how to get a runny yellow inside.  Anyone have an idea for this I would appreciate the input.

Enjoy,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment