Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

Brisket Practice, Part 2...

For the next to last brisket practice, I went back to my stand by injection (The Colony Sauce) and a hybrid rub...

For the rub:

1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Mustard Powder
2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Dried Thyme

Injected the brisket, rubbed, and wrapped in plastic wrap for overnight happy time...


After unwrapping in the morning, I gave a fresh coat of rub.  I will not do this again as I believe it makes the rub dry and takes away from the bark.

I brought the Baby up to 250 and placed on the 3rd rack up with straight oak wood.

Smoked for 9.5 hours.  The brisket was 200 internal and my Thermapen was sliding into 80% of the meat like butter.

I foiled, wrapped in a towel, and placed in a cooler for 2.5 hours.  Then pulled and sliced...



Nice bark.  Moist and tender inside.  Passed the Son of Texas test with my Texan friend at work...

I think this is our competition recipe for 2012 unless the scores say otherwise...

Enjoy,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment