This recipe calls for juniper, pepper, salt (both regular and curing), and optional scotch. I followed the recipe exactly except for the use of scotch. I just do not keep scotch around the house. Maybe I need to rethink that strategy. Anyway, I digress.
The process calls for a three to four day cure (I cured for four days), followed by one night in the refrigerator to dry, then seven hours of smoking. Recommended woods for smoking were beech, alder, or cherry. Since I have a supply of alder, that is the wood I used. Here is a photo journey of the process.
The breasts, cleaned, trimmed and ready to go.
The cure, all ready for application.
Cure applied and ready for the four day cure.
After the day one flip.
After the four days of cure. Notice how all of the sugar and salt have dissolved and the liquid has been pulled out of the breast during the cure process.
After an overnight in the refrigerator and after trussing. No comments on the trussing. This is the first time have have tied up any piece of meat. Ever!
After the seven hours of smoking.
Then, the final product after two days in the refrigerator to let the smoke flavors age and mellow.
Not too bad if I say so myself. This recipe is pretty good. The texture reminded me a little bit like South African biltong. The juniper was present, but not overpowering. The breast were a bit salty for my taste, but a more thorough rinse after the cure will take care of that issue. Maybe even soaking the cured breasts for an hour or so will cut the saltiness further. As for the scotch, I will try that step in the future as well.
I have put in a request for some goose breast in the future with the skin and fat attached. I think that preparing the recipe as intended will add a whole new layer of flavors to something that was good to start.
Thanks for stopping by,