Search This Blog

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Brisket on Ole Blue

Well, I have been wanting to try a meld of some brisket techniques to see if we can improve our brisket for the judges.  After yesterdays cook, I think we have something...

First, I injected with a mix of Colony Sauce (a local prime rib marinade) and canola oil.  Then, I rubbed with some of our All Purpose Blend, placed in a pan, and let sit in the frig overnight.  Here is the brisket after overnight happy time:


I then fired Ole Blue up to 325 and scraped the racks down.  Then, the brisket went on the middle rack, fat side up, hickory and peach in the ash pan...





1 hour, 325, then,  flipped to fat side down and lowered the pit temp to 250.  As you can see, I had some nice bark formation...




At 250 F, I then cooked to 165 F internal.  Then, into a pan with 1 cup Yeungling lager, 1 cup beef broth, and 1 tbsp of AP rub.  Covered with foil, back into Ole Blue at 250 F...




Once it was 195 F internal, I started probing with my thermometer for tenderness.  This brisket was like butter at 200 F.  When done, I opened the foil and released the steam to promote bark formation, resealed, then I put into a cooler with towels to rest.  This brisket had about 3 hours of rest time...


Look at all that nice Au Jus...

Separated the point from the flat and cubed for Burnt Ends...


Trimmed up the sides and sliced the flat thin...


Nice bark, tender, but not too tender.  Great flavor, especially with some Au Jus...


Back to the Burnt Ends...  Tossed the cubes with more rub and a thin coat of sauce.  Placed in a pan and back on Ole Blue for 30 minutes...


Sweet, spicy, caramelized goodness.  I love Burnt Ends.  I think they are the best part of the brisket.

So, to review:

1.  Inject and rub.
2.  Sit overnight.
3.  1 hour, 325 F, fat side up.
4.  Flip fat side down, lower temp to 250, cook till 165 F.
5.  Put in pan with beer/beef broth/rub.  Cook to 195 F and start checking for doneness.
6.  Rest for at least 2 hours in cooler.
7.  Slice and stand back.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog, I too have a cooking blog. Your food looks sooooooooooooooooo good! I'm very new to this and finding it hard to develop a following. There are not to many homespun barbecue blogs out here. Looks like you could use a few new followers as well, come on over, follow me and I'll follow you back. Happy eating, Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your woodwork Steve. Especially the stand you made for your BGE...

      Welcome!

      Bill

      Delete
    2. Thanks bro! Thanks for the compliment and for following my blog. I am now following your's too. Steve.

      Delete
  2. Is this the link to the Colony Sauce?

    http://colonysauce.com/

    ReplyDelete