Search This Blog

Friday, December 27, 2013

Using up your Leftover Prime Rib

Left over prime rib?  It does happen.  But, you always have those bones.  Some people slow roast them the next day with BBQ sauce for a tasty treat.  The only problem with that is they can be riddled with fat and chewy.  I like to turn the ribs from my rib roast into stock for soups.  That way I can enjoy this flavorful stock months later.  How do you make this stock?  It is easy.  Off to the kitchen.

First, into my 12 quart stock pot with the strainer insert, I put in the ribs from my roast.  I also add the over cooked end slices of meat and any scraps from the carving process.


Next, I add the following:

1 medium sweet onion, quartered
4 carrots, broken in half
2 ribs of celery, broken in half
3 garlic cloves, paper removed
About 1/8 cup of dried parsley
Enough water to cover everything


Bring to a rolling boil, then simmer lightly on low heat over night.  This batch went about 12 hours.

After the simmer, remove the strainer and discard the veggies and bones.  Then, when cool enough, place in your fridge to cool and to allow the fat to come to the top and solidify.  Conveniently, Mother Nature provided us with three inches of refrigeration material yesterday.  So, I did not have to use refrigerator space.


After about nine hours outside, the fat had come to the top and solidified nicely.  I brought the stock pot inside and removed the fat with a slotted spoon.



There you have it.  99% fat free stock that is just bursting with beef flavor.  I will use half of this to make some soup this weekend and the other half I will portion, vacuum seal, and freeze for later in the year.  Tune back in next week for the outcome of the soup.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment