Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Old School Chicken on the Weber Kettle

At the beach, I was happy that our house had a Weber Kettle grill as well as a gas grill.  I hate gas grills, especially those that are provided at rental houses.  They are never taken care of and always a bottom of the line model.

So, I took a whole chicken and slow smoked on the Weber for sandwiches.  First, I brined the bird in poultry brine overnight.  Then, I started on the grill the next day...

Webers are fairly easy to regulate.  With the top and bottom damper, air flow is easy to regulate.   I started 20 briquettes and let them burn until they were very ashed over to ensure the lighter fluid was burnt off and would not leave a taste.  Then, I added 10 more fresh briquettes and my wood box full of Stubbs Oak, Hickory, and Apple chip blend.  Then the bird went on the rack, with a liberal coating of Weber Beer Can Chicken rub under the skin, off to the side...



Make sure you put the open handles over your charcoal pile so your fresh briquettes are easy to add.  You will need to add about 10 an hour.

Here is the bird after 2 hours at about 250 F...


Here is the bird after 3.5 hours.  A perfect 165 F internal, pulled off the Weber with a nice crispy brown skin...


As you can see from the drippings, nice a moist.  Here is the final product being pulled for sandwiches. It also made a nice chicken salad...


I must say, everyone needs to learn how to smoke old school so that you can use any equipment that you have available.  Don't get me wrong, Stumps are great cookers, but you can't take one everywhere.

Hope you enjoy the pics.  Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment