Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Product Review: Heinz Jalapeno Ketchup

At the grocery store the other day, I took my usual detour down the condiment aisle.  I always do, whether or not I need anything, as this is were they keep BBQ sauces, marinades, and rubs.  What did I see positioned in with the ketchup?  A jalapeno flavored ketchup offering from Heinz...


Usually, I am not into flavored ketchup.  But, Heinz's Balsamic Vinegar product was so good, I decided to give this spicy offering a try.

A few years back, Heinz failed to launch a generic spicy ketchup.  Unfortunately, the spiciness hid the ketchup flavor you look for and the spice was just plain old heat.  Nothing special.  So, when I got home, I eagerly opened this bottle and gave this product the finger test.  First off, I noticed the real ketchup taste.  Sweet and tomato like with that vinegar tang.  Then, the heat kicked in on my taste buds.  At this point, it was just heat and not any detectable jalapeno flavor.  But, I reserved my judgement until I tried this ketchup on some food.

For dinner, we had grilled kosher hot dogs and Crispy Crowns.  As you can imagine, my dog had a little ketchup and I had a dunking pile of ketchup for the Crispy Crowns.  Yes, I know, ketchup on a hot dog.  Go ahead and shoot me.  It has to be mustard.  Sorry, I just like ketchup on my hot dogs...


How was it?  Well, with food, the spicy kick is toned down a bit.  Unfortunately, we are still missing the jalapeno flavor.  Overall, if you are looking for a nice spicy ketchup that still tastes like ketchup, this is your product.  If you are looking for a spicy ketchup with jalapeno flavor, this is not your product.  My grade for this product roll out is a C+ for getting the spice/ketchup balance right, but missing the mark for jalapeno flavor.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Our bottle of ketchup in the refrigerator must be 3 years old. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The youngest puts it on everything. so, we buy it by the case at RD. I don't use it much lately. But, I am a huge fan of the balsamic vinegar variety...

    ReplyDelete