Search This Blog

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Restaurant Review: Jim and Nick's BBQ - Plattville, Al

A friend of mine and I were down in Plattville, Alabama over Labor Day and had a chance to try and Jim and Nick's BBQ.  Let me tell you, it is worth the visit...


First off, I started with one of the local beers.  I started with a Naked Pig Pale Ale from Back Forty Brewing Co.  This was a nice, crisp ale that started smooth and finished clean on the palette with hints of citrus.  Perfect for BBQ in my opinion...


My friend Jamie had the Kudzu Porter.  He loved it.  Not too heavy, not too sweet.  Perfect for a porter in his opinion.

As we were waiting, we started sampling the sauces available for our feast.  Jamie was partial to the Habanaro BBQ Sauce and so was I.  It was a nice back end heat that was satisfying, without that heat that can come with Habanaro sauces that grabs you by the tongue and ruins your BBQ.  Someone did their homework with this sauce...


For dinner, we both had the Pick Three platters with brisket, pulled chicken, and pork hot links.  For sides we both had collards.  Jamie had the beans, I had the mac and cheese.



The brisket was nice, tender and tasty.  Could have used a bit more smoke, but why be picky when the brisket is fork tender.  The chicken was perfect.  Not dry and seasoned well.  I asked for a side of Alabama White Sauce to give it a try.  I loved it!  The perfect accompaniment to the chicken for sure.  I will be trying this at home.  The pork links were outstanding as well.  Moist on the outside.  Crisp skin on the outside.  Just the right amount of kick.  We both thought the collards were the best we had ever had.  You just can't get them like that up North.  The mac and cheese was good as well and that is coming from someone who is picky about their mac and cheese.  Jamie liked the beans as well.

Our bartender September was friendly and knowledgeable.  A treat to talk with.  The front end staff was great as well.

This was a great experience and one that I recommend.  If I am ever near a Jim and Nick's BBQ in the future, I will be making dinner plans.

Overall, 3.5 out of 4 stars...

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

1 comment:

  1. All these things restaurant, wine, party, dinner etc with friends makes me crazy. I like the whole review of your restaurant's blog it is nice.

    ReplyDelete