Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Tomato Peach Salsa

Last week down in the Outer Banks, before Arthur crashed the party, I had an opportunity to take something I have always wanted to do off of my bucket list: go deep sea fishing.

It was a great day with friends and family, here are some pictures from the day.


Waking up...





Action photos


I couldn't believe how blue the water was.


Catch of the day.  36 pounds.


Guy, Captain of the Sea Dream and his first mate, Tyler, were outstanding hosts.  I would recommend the Sea Dream, out of Hatteras Landing, anytime.  

So, on the hasty drive home, I plotted on how I would cook this beautiful fish.  I settled on a simple grilling topped by Tomato Peach salsa.  Here is the recipe.

First, I made a batch of our homemade salsa:

Ingredients:

4 Cups Roma Tomatoes, Diced
¼ Cup Sweet Onion, Diced
2 Jalapeno Peppers, Seeded and diced fine
3 Cloves Garlic , Minced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Dried Parsley
1 tsp Cumin
½ tsp Kosher Or Sea Salt
1 Lime, Juiced

I am the only one that likes peaches around here.  So, I removed two cups of the above after mixing and added in two peaches, skin removed and diced.  The salsa went into the refrigerator to chill.


For the Mahi Mahi fillet, I rinsed and dried, then rubbed liberally with olive oil.  Then, I added a healthy grinding of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.  I let the fillet sit out for about an hour to come up to room temperature for grilling.


I lit the grill and evenly distributed the hot coals.  Then, I put the fillet on direct heat to get some sear on the outside.


I flipped after about seven minutes.  I know that sounds like a long time, but Mahi Mahi is a dense, meaty fish and this was a thick fillet.  Adjust your cook times to match the size of your catch.  You know your fish is done when it turns opaque and is starting to flake.


After seven more minutes, I removed from the grill and let rest while I grabbed some plates.



I sliced, topped with the tomato peach salsa, and served with the first fresh corn of the season, some sautéed fresh green beans, and a glass of Fox Run Arctic Fox.


The fish was outstanding and fresh.  It should be considering it was five days old.  It was tender and juicy with just the right amount of sear.  The salsa added a nice flavor that complemented this mild fish.  Hope said she likes it better than steak.  That leads me to ask the question, "Who kidnapped Hope?"

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. What a great day on the ocean. It is even better that you brought home a catch. Salsa sounds like a great combination with the fish. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of fun Chilebrown. You should try the salsa. Very good.

      Delete