Search This Blog

Friday, November 15, 2013

Smoked Short Rib Pot Roast

I had a request a few weekends ago to make my Smoker Pot Roast.  Here is the base recipe:

1 Chuck Roast.
2 ribs of celery, diced.
4 potatoes, diced.
4 large carrots, peeled and diced.
3 cloves of garlic, minced.
1/4 cup of flour.
Enough beef broth to cover everything.  I used 2 quarts.

But, as I am prone to do, I mixed it up this time.  Here are the changes:

3 x Beef Short Ribs instead of chuck roast for the meat.
1/2 cup of flour to thicken it up a little more.

Here is the method and results.

First, I trimmed the fat off of the short ribs that was easily trimmed.



I then seasoned all sides with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.


Looking for scraps...


Then, onto the top rack of my smoker at 250 F with two pieces of pecan in the ash pan.  Then pull after one hour.


While the short ribs were getting happy in the smoker, I prepared the veggies.  I prefer a coarse chop and dice for my pot roast.


Add the flour and mix.


Add the broth and stir until smooth and incorporated.


Pull the ribs from the smoker, place in the broth, and cover.  Cook for five hours at 250 F.



Come back five hours later, remove lid, and stand back as the herd comes to graze.


Hope actually took the time to pull the meat from the bones.  Believe me, it was fall off of the bone good.  Adding an hour of smoke time to the beef really put this "pot roast" over the top.  Also upping the flour by 1/4 cup thickened the both to the perfect consistency.  This turned out to be a great Sunday dinner on the first real cold weekend of the fall.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. I know that was very rich and decadent. Short ribs are yummy. It is a time commitment but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beef ribs are good in so many dishes. We just love them.

      Delete