Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Smoked Turkey Breast on the Baby...

Last Thanksgiving, I stocked up on the 99 cent whole turkeys and breasts for a rainy day.  Well, I was in a turkey mood last weekend, so I pulled one out of the freezer and threw it on the Baby.

First, I thawed the breast and prepared a brine.  Brines can be made of anything.  But, the main components are salt and sugar.  This brine had 3/4 cup of kosher salt to 1 gallon of water, along with 3/4 cup of brown sugar.  Don't worry about the salt.  Your bird will not get salty.  The salt acts to remove all of the bacteria and bad juices from the bird, making a nice, juicy and tasty piece of meat.  The other ingredients are up to you.  I added OJ, garlic, onion, and chili powder, along with some worcestershire sauce.  The basic recipe was given to me by BOS over on the Stumps Forum.  Here is a link:

Chicken Brine Recipe

Here is the breast in the pool...


After sitting overnight, I pulled out of the brine and discarded.  Then, rinsed the breast well and patted dry.

I also took 4 tbsp of the Weber Montreal Chicken rub and made a paste with 2 tbsp of olive oil:


With the paste, I pulled the skin back and rubbed on the breast meat.  Then, I put the skin back in place and gave the skin a nice coat of olive oil, then used the rest of the paste: 


Fired up the Baby to 325 with 50/50 apricot and hickory wood.  I placed the breast on the center rack:


Thin blue smoke rolling on the hill:


Cooked to 165 internal, about 2 hours and 45 minutes, then wrapped in foil to rest for 15 minutes.  Nice and crispy skin...


Sliced and served with asparagus and rice pilaf.  The bird was nice, tender, and juicy.


Enjoy,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment