Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Baby Back Practice

Well, I practiced a bit with my Baby Backs.  I bought the cryopack of Swift Baby Backs from Costco.  More on that later...

I pulled the membrane off the back, rinsed in cold water and patted dry.  Then, I gave them a liberal coating of Butchers Honey Rub, wrapped in plastic wrap, then gave them overnight happy time in the frig:



Placed in the Baby at 250 with 3:1 peach to hickory:


After 3.5 hours, I glazed with some of my homemade Yuengling Lager Sauce:


Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) Tomato Sauce
1 (16-ounce) Yuengling Lager
1 + 1 Tbsp + tsp Brown SugarPacked
1 ¼ tsp Onion Powder
1 ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Dry Mustard
½ tsp Cornstarch
3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
½ tsp Kosher Or Sea Salt
¼ tsp Celery SeedGround


Directions:
Bring to boil.  Simmer till reduced and slightly thickened.



Yuengling lager is a nice, local, amber lager.  If you can't find it, Killians Red is a nice substitute.  This is a nice tangy sauce that adds some sweet and some acid without overpowering the ribs.  


After glazing, 30 more minutes on the Baby, then I let them rest for 15 minutes before slicing:






A bit of a warning if you compete.  As you can see, one end of the rack is meatier than the other.  They cooked inconsistently and the meatier end was a tad underdone.  They would have been scored lower by a judge for sure.  So, I would not use the Swift cryopacks in a competition for sure.


Enjoy,


Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment