Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Deep Sea Triple Play: Grilled Dolphin with Latin Style Marinade. Part 2 of 3

Before you yell, we did not fillet and grill Flipper.  Another name for Dolphin is Mahi-Mahi.  Here is what they look like:


They are the ones with the yellow bellies and the ugly high foreheads.  But, they sure do taste great.  Dolphin is a nice mild fish that is great for grilling.  It is traditionally filleted and is an off white color with some pink overtones.


Due to the mildness of the fish, it does accept flavor from marinades easily.  Just a warning when grilling.  It is a semi-firm fish.  So, it can break down if not handled properly.  Be careful and only flip once.

Now for the marinade.  I was looking for some Latin flavors.  So, I used:

1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp each ground cumin, chili powder, and onion powder.

I mixed it all up and let the fish marinade in a plastic bag for one hour.


Then, I placed the Dolphin on a hot grill on direct heat.


After three minutes, I flipped, let sit on the other side for three minutes, then moved to indirect heat for 10 minutes while closing the grill lid.  Here is the final product.


Flaky and tender, this fish had a nice subtle bite from the chili powder and citrus undertones from the OJ.  This was a winner and we will be making this again.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. I have only eaten Flipper in Hawaii. It was very good. I need to eat more fish.

    I forgot to mention another seasonally local fish. King Salmon. They closed the season and I am not sure if they will be available this year. When they are available what a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get Atlantic Salmon around here. I like it. but, if you have a chance, try Steelhead. Even better...

    ReplyDelete