Search This Blog

Monday, December 16, 2013

Adventures in Chili: White Bean Chicken Chili

A few weeks ago I was sautéing some onions, garlic, and poblano peppers for some spanish rice that I was making for dinner.  The smell was so intoxicating, I decided that I needed to work this mix into a dish.  So, last weekend, I made some White Bean Chicken Chili.

First, I poached a chicken, adding some oregano and cumin into the poaching liquid for some Mexican flavor.


Once the chicken cooled down, I pulled the meat from the bone and saved six cups of the broth for my chili.


White Bean Chicken Chili

1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 poblano peppers, roughly diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
Pinch of thyme
2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken
2 cans of Great Northern Beans, with the liquid
6 cups of chicken broth
Olive Oil for sautéing
Salt to taste

Heat up about 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in your pan on low heat.  Add onion, garlic, poblano pepper and a grinding of sea salt.  Sauté on low heat until the veggies are tender and starting to caramelize.


Add spices and allow to sauté for two more minutes.


Add the broth and beans and bring to a boil.  Allow the mixture to simmer with the lid cracked for two hours.


After the two hour simmer, turn off your heat, add your shredded chicken, and stir to incorporate.  After about 10 minutes, your chicken has warmed up.  So, ladle into a bowl and serve.


This is good stuff.  I like the creamy texture of the Great Northern Beans.  The poblano adds a nice kick.  All of the spices mingle to provide a taste treat.  This is a nice change of pace from your basic red chili.  Give it a shot.  You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments: