Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Just Plain Nuts...

Since my friend Mark showed me his smoked pecan posting, I have been experimenting with different types of smoked nuts.  I have found that smoking a nut is very simple and really makes your garden variety mixed nut something special.

For this day of experimenting, I used:

Raw Pumpkin Seeds
Raw Macadamia Nuts
Already roasted Kirkland Mixed Nuts from Costco

First, the nuts get a light coating of olive oil, thoroughly mixed, then placed into a single layer inside an aluminum foil pan...


Macadamia Nuts, ready for the smoker...

Then, I fire up the smoker and bring to a temperature of 250 F and place hickory wood in the ash pan.
The nuts then go into the smoker on the top rack...





Every 20 minutes I go out and mix the nuts in the pan to make sure they roast evenly and so they can get the maximum amount of smoke.

After one hour, I place salt to taste with sea salt and place hot into canning jars, then seal.  As the nuts cool, the jars will seal, keeping that smoky goodness locked into the nut...


Left to right: Macadamia Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds, and Mixed Nuts.

Quick, simple, and much cheaper than if you by a can of smoked nuts at the store.  Give them a try.  Your friends, family, and co-workers will love you for it...

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment