Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012

This IS a Fattie your Grandma would have Made!

The thing that I love about a BBQ Fattie is that the possibilities are endless.  You can use any meat with any stuffing.  I have had a taste for stuffed cabbage lately, so, why not?  Here is a step by step method for making a Stuffed Cabbage Fattie...

First, I cleaned, peeled, and diced 3 small potatoes for mashed potatoes.  Only homemade here folks...


While the potatoes were cooking, I cleaned and diced 1 small sweet onion and some cabbage.  I caramelized in some olive oil, salt and pepper...




I cooked 1/2 cup of white rice to get 1 cup of cooked rice, then cooled down in the freezer...


Once cooled, I mixed with 2 pounds of ground pork, 1 tsp of minced garlic, and some salt and pepper...


Mixed it all up, placed in a plastic bag, flattened out, and put in the frig to firm up...



While the meat and rice mixture was chilling, I made my mashed potatoes, mixed in the cabbage potato mix, and placed in my "mold".  Once molded, I put in the frig to firm up...





For the tomato sauce, I sauteed 1 tsp of minced garlic and 1/4 of a small sweet onion with some salt and pepper.  Added 15 oz of canned sauce, brought to a simmer, and let cook down by 1/4...



While the sauce was cooking, I prepared the fattie...  I cut the plastic bag and placed the pork mixture on some wax paper.  Remember, wax paper is your friend...




Then, onto the middle rack of the Baby at 250 F with a piece of oak in the ash pan...


Flipped after 30 minutes and raised the temp to 300 F.  As you can see the seam came apart a bit.  It turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  It allowed the tomato sauce to get at the potato mixture inside...


Then, after another 30 minutes, I placed in a foil pan, covered with the reduced tomato sauce, and raised the temp to 350 F...


Finished product...



As you can see, it fell apart a bit.  But the flavors were there for sure.  Moist, juicy, with a hint of oak.  Good stuff.

Some things I will do differently next time:

1.  3 lb of ground pork
2.  I will wrap with a bacon weave
3.  More cabbage in the potato

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment