Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Grilled Polenta

Our favorite Italian restaurant is Combine Brothers up in Sharon, PA.  It is a bit of a drive for us.  But, the time is worth it for all of their scratch made Italian dishes.  But, that is a post for another day.    I mention them because on their menu you can order homemade polenta topped with any of their sauces or al a carte toppings.  One of their most popular combinations is polenta with sautéed greens. I prepared that dish at home one evening, but had lots of left over polenta.  After some reading, I found that you can slice the cooled down polenta and pan fry tip crisp.  So, why pan fry, when you have a grill?

The recipe I used to prepare my polenta was Alton Brown's.  I was very happy with the result.  Rich and creamy.  It paired well with the greens.  When I was done with dinner, I put the leftovers in a plastic container that had some surface area.  I also sprayed the inside of the container with cooking spray so that my solidified polenta would slide right out.


The next day, I was making some London broil and grilled tomatoes for dinner, so I thought the polenta would go great on the grill.  So, I removed the polenta from the container and sliced into dinner sized servings
.
I brushed each side with olive oil, then placed on the grill when I started grilling my tomatoes.


I flipped when I started getting grill marks on the first side.


I then served along side my sliced tomato and London broil.

The grilled polenta was pretty good.  The char and caramelization from grilling added a nice flavor that you do not usually have with standard polenta in a bowl.  This was only my first time around working with polenta of any type.  You might be seeing more of this dish once our fresh greens can be picked from our garden.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Grilled polenta sounds like a great idea. Alton Brown always has good recipes.

    We are leaving in a couple of minutes to Santa Rosa for Wine Country Q. It is a very popular contest. Lots of wine if you are so inclined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chilebrown, wish we were there. We wanted to come out for this one, but, time would not allow. Maybe next year.

      Delete