Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Brisket Philly Cheesesteak Pizza

Making pizza around the Three Dogs household has become a bit of a family event around here.  With the new BBQ toy, everyone comes over and it is a build your own pizza party.  A few weeks ago, with some leftover smoked brisket in the refrigerator, I decided to try my hand at a Philly Cheesesteak Pizza.  Off to the kitchen we go!

As always, Hope whipped up a batch of dough in the bread machine.  While the dough was rising, I sautéed some onions and peppers and then slowly caramelized some mushrooms at low temperature.  Once that was done, I cubed up some leftover smoked brisket as well.    


Once the dough was ready, Hope spread the dough out on our cast iron pizza pan and built the pizza.  We placed a very light coat of olive oil on top of the dough.  Then, that was followed up with thinly sliced provolone cheese, followed by the peppers, onions, mushrooms, and smoked brisket.


Next, the pie went into the hot pizza oven for about 14 minutes total, with a flip after seven minutes.  Strange when all you can smell coming from the pizza oven is smoked brisket.



I like my cheesesteak sandwiches with a little mayo when I buy them from the local sandwich shop.  For experimentation, I whipped up some sriracha mayo to try as a secondary experiment on one slice.  while the taste was ok, I don't think I would do this again.  It was a good idea that did not live up to expectations.  


This is good stuff folks.  Give this one a try the next time you have some leftover brisket.  

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

4 comments:

  1. Pizza parties were everybody make their own pie is a lot of fun. I try to keep the pie smaller so they can make several different kinds. I am curious about your cast iron pan. Do you put that on top of the pizza stone? Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chilebrown, no. We just slide the cast iron pan in without a stone. We are using them for competitions so we get a uniform pie for the box. Heating up the pan increases cook time, hence the 14 minute time.

      Delete
  2. You might consider heating up the cast iron pan in the pizza oven and sliding the pizza off of a peel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we bought the cast iron pans so that we can make nice round pies for judges. At home, the pizza hits a stone.

      Delete