Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

You Don't Always have to Smoke Meat. Smoked Almond Recipe.

My good friends Mark and Darrell are fellow smokers from Minnesota and Seattle. Darrell posted the original recipe for these almonds that Mark took and added his own twist.  I thought it sounded good and will definitely be trying this fall.  I thought that all of you that visit here from time to time might enjoy trying this on your own.  I would imagine that you could use any rub that you wanted based upon your taste preference.

Enjoy and thanks for stopping by...

Bill

P.S.  This was posted with Mark's approval... ;)

We had a larger bag of almonds that just were not getting eaten. Today I decided to put some smoke to them. This will positively be on the list to do again real soon, they turned out great. Thanks to Darrell (Slow Smoke for recipe).

With the directions posted from Slow Smoke in the recipe section, and a few changes of my own, they turned out terrific. 

2 cups almonds
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp rub
2 tsp white sugar
1 tsp brown sugar

Dry ingredients were ground into a powder. I used a coffee grinder. Melt butter in sauce pan. Slowly pour melted butter over almonds, mixing as you pour. Place butter covered almonds in aluminum half pan, and sprinkle the dry ingredients over the top. I went 230 for about 80 minutes with hickory. Shaking the pan to mix/turn the nuts about every 20 minutes

My aluminum half pan I took and had punched several small holes into the bottom to allow smoke to permeate up through the bottom. 


Image

As Slow Smoke had stated, very little smoke penetration in a short cooking time. As he did, I transferred the ash pan with smoking hickory right into the cooking chamber of the Stretch. This method really increases the presence of smoke.


Image



Finished results. One pan was Cuntry Boyz rub the other John Henry's Old Stockyard Seasoning. 


Image

No comments:

Post a Comment