Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

Saturday Brisket, Santa Maria Style

Well, we picked up a nice brisket for some practice this weekend before our last competition.  It was a nice five pound flat that required minimal trimming...


First, I injected with 1/2 cup of Moore's Marinade, 1/2 cup of beef stock, and 1/4 cup of canola oil.  I injected in a grid pattern with my Spitjack injector gun set for #3 on the dial...


After injecting, the brisket received an even coat of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria rub.

Bottom...


Top...


Then, I covered with foil, put the pan in the refrigerator, and let the brisket get happy over night.  Total happy time was about 12 hours.

After happy time...


Then, onto the smoker at 250 F with hickory wood in the ash pan, fat side up...


After three hours, I flipped with the fat side down until the internal temperature reached 165 F.

After the flip...


Once the internal temp hit 165 F, I placed the brisket in a pan with 1 cup of beef stock, covered with foil, and placed back in the smoker until the internal temp hit 195.  Once the brisket hit 195 F, I wrapped the pan in towels and let rest in a cooler for three hours.  The brisket needed 7 hours to get to 195 F.  So, total time, with resting, was 10 hours.

Here is a picture after removing from the foil...


Sliced...


Yes, I know.  Some of the slices are a bit thick.  It was late, I was tired, and I didn't feel like digging for the electric knife.  What I can tell you is that the flavor was outstanding.  Not as tender as I would have liked, but tender enough.

I can't rave enough about the Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria seasoning.  I loved the package from the sampler pack so much, I went out a bought a pound.

I also reserved the Au Jus for later.  I am going to experiment with that later this week.  I'll report back then.

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment