Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cooking for Novices Part 5: Grilled Steelhead and Salmon with Zucchini and Onions

Folks, grilling fish and veggies is not that hard.  It is a snap, especially with a larger cut of fish with the skin attached, such as salmon or steelhead.

First, the veggies.  I cleaned and trimmed a small zucchini and cut small slices.  I did the same with a medium sweet onion, then sliced in medium thickness slices.  My marinade is olive oil, honey, steak sauce (I used A1) and salt and pepper to taste.  After whisking, I threw all of the kids into the pool for a one hour swim.  This marinade is my go to grilled veggie marinade.  It works really well on mushrooms for sure.


Then, I took portions of a salmon and steelhead (the bottom piece) fillet, painted with plain yellow mustard, then sprinkled liberally with Old Bay seasoning...


I started a fire in the Backyarder, heated up the grates and scraped them down.  First, the vegetables on direct heat for about 5 minutes.  Then, I flipped them over and put on the cold side of the grill.  Then, i placed the fish, skin side down on direct heat.  I closed the lid and let everything sit cook for 12-14 minutes...


When the fish is looking flaky and the fat is rendering from the top of the fillet, you are done.  The veggies cook the rest of the way in the indirect heat with the lid closed...


The veggies are nice and tender crisp with a nice savory/sweet taste.  The fish was outstanding.  The mustard gives the fish a nice tangy flavor that goes well with the richness of the fish.  The Old Bay goes with any seafood in my opinion.  Serve with nice white wine and you have a great meal.  By the way, I prefer the steelhead (on the left) to regular salmon.  It has a richer, more complex taste.  It is usually much cheaper than salmon.  So, it is a win/win.

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment