Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Redneck Eggrolls, Asian Style

This is from a post I made on the Stumps Website a year or so ago.  I liked it so much, I am going to be making some soon and thought all of you might like to try it yourself.

Kudos to Jeanie over at Cowgirl's Country Blog for the pork marinade recipe...


Now, when you get down to it, we are all tinkerers in the kitchen. Sure, we have our recipes that will never change: Grandma's Biscuit Recipe, Apple Pie Recipe, etc... But, we always think we can make something better. These experiments come out one of 3 ways:

1. What was I thinking...
2. Not bad, needs more work.
3. WOW!

I had one of those WOW moments today. Asian Style Redneck Eggrolls...

Took a boneless 3 lb butt and marinaded in this marinade:

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/201 ... -rice.html

My only changes to the marinade was that I used Mirin instead of sherry and I did not add the food coloring...

24 hours of happy time later, I pulled it out of the frig:

Image
Image

Cooked at 250 with 1 piece of hickory and 4-5 pieces of peach...

While cooking, I whipped up some slaw for the filling:

1/4 green cabbage, minced.
2 thin slices of red onion, minced.
1 carrot, minced.
1 stalk celery, minced.

For the dressing:

2 Tbsp of soy sauce.
1 Tbsp of white vinegar.
1 healthy pinch of brown sugar.
1-2 healthy dashes of sesame oil.

Mixed it all up. Believe me, it can be eaten like this, right out of the bowl:

Image

Took the butt off of the smoker at 205. Tender and very easy to pull.

Image
Image

Mixed up with the slaw:

Image

Rolled in wontons... Here is a good resource for egg roll rolling... http://thechurchcook.blogspot.com/2010/ ... rolls.html

Image

Fried in canola oil until brown...

Image

Used this for dipping sauce:

Image

The picky 12 year old ate 3.

Let me tell you guys something, this was the best pulled pork I have made in awhile. You might call me crazy, but I think you could do very well at a competition with this stuff. If you could make a nice asian BBQ sauce, you would be made. It was out of the box, but not too far. It had the right BBQ flavors, but something that made you ask, "What is different about this?" It tasted like pulled pork, but at the same time, it was just different, in a good way.

What would I change?

1. More cabbage to pork ratio.
2. Maybe double the sauce added to the slaw.
3. Don't mince the cabbage so fine.

Kudos to Cowgirl for the marinade recipe...

If I ever get around to a catering business, this is on the menu for sure :!: 

Enjoy,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Bill, made it to your site. Let me tell you, it's exciting!!

    I love what you did with this pork butt. I can start out with at least 10 of them for a warm up then I got to get serious. I know these taste great. Awesome job!!!

    I'll be following you and going to put your site on my blog links.

    Keep em' coming brother...

    -Rueben- (:{

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rueben. I appreciate you stopping by.

      Glad you like the site. I know I love yours.

      Take care,

      Bill

      Delete