Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Marinaded Flank Steak with Rice Pilaf

My butcher had some great looking flank steak the other weekend, so I bought one and gave it a try on my Stumps Backyarder...

First, I rinsed and patted dry...


Then I used the flank steak marinade on The Pioneer Woman website as a base...


My take on the marinade...

Three Dogs BBQ Flank Steak Marinade

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Mirin
3 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
2 Heaping Tbsp of minced Garlic
1 tsp Siriacha Sauce (Asian, garlic pepper sauce).  
1/2 tsp Ground, dried Ginger

I put all the kids in the pool and whisked to mix...


... and poured over the flank steak in a plastic bag for overnight happy time...


As you may know, Jeanie over at Cowgirls Country Blog makes some real good eats.  She makes this great smoked, fried rice.  So, I decided to try and make a pilaf in the Cowgirl style...

Three Dogs BBQ Rice Pilaf

1 Stalk Celery, halved and diced
1 Carrot, halved, pealed, and diced
1/2 Sweet Onion, diced
1 cup of Uncooked rice
1 can of Beef Broth
1 tsp Sriracha Sauce
1/4 cup of Pine Nuts
Olive Oil for sauteing



I fired up the grill and put the oil in veggies in a cast iron dutch oven.  Then, sauteed for 5 minutes...


Then, I added the pine nuts and sauteed for five minutes, then I added the rice and sauteed for 5 more minutes (15 total minutes of saute).


Jethro, dog number 2, wondering if it is done...


Then, I added the broth, covered and placed on indirect heat.  Then, I threw on the flank steak, 7 minutes a side...


Finished product...


I kept the rice on for 20 minutes total, then pulled and let rest with the flank steak.  I sliced the steak into thin strips and served.  A nice, perfect medium...


Thanks to Jeanie for the rice idea.

Things I will do different the next time:

1 Tbsp of Sriracha
2 Tbsp of fresh, minced Ginger

Enjoy,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment