Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

To Foil or not to Foil, that is the Question... Spare Rib Cook Comparison

Well, I need to improve our rib scores.  We do well on taste and appearance, but two things hurt us:

1.  Tenderness
2.  We usually do baby backs and not spares

So, a bit of practice this weekend with some St. Louis Spares.

I decided to go with the 3-2-1 method:

3 hours on the rack
2 hours foiled with apple juice spritz
1 hour back on the rack with an apple juice spritz and glaze for the last 30 minutes

First, I rubbed two racks down, front and back, with some North Coast BBQ Smokers rub...


This is a great rub.  A bit of sweet, a bit of savory, and a bit of Memphis rub, all in one container.  Good stuff...

Then, onto the top rack of Ole Blue at 250 F...


After all was said and done, the foiled rack was the best by far.  Tender, juicy, moist.  Nice, slight apple flavor...  The bottom rack is the foiled one...


Nice pull back on the bone.  Just what I was looking for.


Foiled on the left.

I think we have to foil for sure for competitions.  I don't want too, but if we want better scores, I guess we have to do what everyone else does...

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Gotta admit Bill, it does make for a more juicier and tender rib. I don't foil too much but I know the difference. But nothing beats grilling ribs and watching the color and appearance change. The anticipation of biting into those ribs is a killer. But yeah, foil works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Rueben, it does. Better than how We used to par boil, then grill when I was a kid...;)

    ReplyDelete