Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Deep Sea Triple Play: Yellowfin Tuna. Part 1 of 3

As I said the other day, our fish thawed out on the way home from the beach, so I have to cook them up this week.  First up are Yellowfin Tuna steaks.  I love tuna as it cooks up nice, has a distinct mild flavor, and accepts flavor from marinade readily.  I usually like my tuna raw as sushi, but from time to time, I do like it grilled.

First, I created a lime ginger marinade.  Here are the ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and diced fine
1 Tbsp of sriracha sauce
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of sesame oil
Juice of 1 lime

Mix it all up to mingle...




Place the steaks in the marinade for 1 hour...


Then, place the steaks on a hot fire with direct heat to sear.  Flip after 1 minute, then move to indirect heat to finish cooking...




On indirect heat, I cooked the steaks for 5 minutes a side.  At this point they are cooked the whole way through with no pink, but not overcooked.  I know, some would think they are over done at this point.  Even I think that.  But, the family likes their fish well done.  So, we compromise.  I get the flavors I want and they get the doneness they want...


How were they?  Nice and tender with ginger, lime, and soy overtones.  The sriracha gives a nice bite on the tongue going down.  This is a go to recipe for me when grilling tuna.

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

4 comments:

  1. I like your marinade. We have used a basic Italian dressing marinade before. I just need to get my hands on some fresh tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuna is not local to our area. You have to go pretty far out. A friend goes once a year to San Diego for a weeks fishing trip to Mexico. He brings back Tuna and that is were I have got steaks. Our local fishes are Halibut, cod and bass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good choices really. I love good, grilled or broiled cod...

    ReplyDelete