Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Smoked Scotch Eggs, Breakfast Style

What is a Scotch Egg you ask?  Well, I have made them before.  At good English pubs, they are hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage and deep fried.  They are then served with a side of some sort of dipping sauce.  I was in the mood for them and I had the smoker fired up, so I went for it...

First, I took 3 lb of bulk breakfast sausage, mixed in 1 Tbsp of sriracha sauce and wrapped a hard boiled egg inside...


Then, I smoked at 350 F with hickory wood until the sausage was cooked, about 40 minutes or 165 F internal...



The next morning, I cut into thick sliced and pan fried until hot...



Then, I topped with a fried egg and made all of the trimmings...



How was the combo?  Outstanding.  Runny, dippy egg with some hard boiled texture mixed in as well.  The smoked sausage and sriracha added a nice spicy complement to the usual breakfast.  I will be doing this again when I am feeling decadent for breakfast in the future.

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Oh those wacky English. It took you to make this a palatable dish. Even though it is breakfast they probably would taste even better with a pint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chilebown, the English have made some contributions to cuisine. Yorkshire Pudding with roast beef is a winner. But, I do have a soft spot for Scotch Eggs...

    ReplyDelete