Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fresh Tomato Sauce with Bacon and Cream

The first of the Roma tomatoes came into our farmers market last week.  As a nice lunch surprise for Hope, I decided to make a fresh tomato sauce with some added treats.

First, I fried three pieces of bacon, then placed them on a plate with a paper towel to drain.


With the bacon grease, I sauteed 1/2 of a small sweet onion and two cloves of garlic, both finely diced.


After the onion and garlic mix was starting to soften and caramelize...


I added a half of a pint of finely diced Roma tomatoes.


I simmered for 30 minutes with the lid on the soften the tomatoes.  Then, I cracked the lid to let off some steam and allow the sauce to reduce for 30 more minutes.  Then I added a splash of low fat half and half and a pinch of oregano and basil, added the crumbled bacon, and let the mixture come back to temperature.


Then I mixed in some al dente spaghetti, served in a bowl, and topped with some fresh grated Parmesan cheese.


Hope loved this lunchtime surprise.  This was a nice, light, summer treat with sugar sweet Roma tomatoes.  You should try making this with your next batch of fresh picked tomatoes.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill


2 comments:

  1. Ah heck, your killing me with that stuff. Freakishly delicious sounding and looking. I am hungry for that now.

    ReplyDelete