Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Weekend in Hong Kong, Part 1 of 2

As you may have seen in prior posts, I am fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you see it) enough to be able to travel for work.  Earlier this month, I spent a week in India and a week in China with a weekend in Hong Kong sandwiched in between.


My weekend started with an escape from New Delhi on a redeye that left at 1:50 am and arrived in Hong Kong around 8:30ish am.  I took the Airport Express into town and the shuttle to my hotel.  I had a ton of e-mail to go though and some work to catch up on over the day on Saturday.  But, I was determined to go on an Asian culinary adventure and to purge my body of Indian food and spices.  Don't get me wrong, I like Indian food.  But, it all tastes the same after six days and it comes in three colors; red, brown, and green.  Besides, I love Asian flavors.  Something you may have also seen by tooling around the Three Dogs BBQ blog...

So, I got a shower, put on a t-shirt and shorts (I was loving the warm weather), and grabbed a quick lunch.

First off were some Asian Spring rolls.  Filled with spring onion, cabbage, and carrot.  Wrapped in a won ton wrapper and served with soy-plum dipping sauce, this was an excellent way to start satisfying my Asian cravings.  Besides, you are looking at the first fresh vegetables that I had had in over a week. Amazing what you crave when it is not readily available...


I finished up my lunch with a plate of Singapore Noodles...


Onions, carrots, cabbage, green onion, been sprouts sauteed with garlic, rice vermicelli, curry powder, soy sauce and char siu pork (think Asian style ham).  This is an Asian medley that I can eat any day of the week.

I then retired to my room in anticipation of my evening out with some friends.

The evening started with a ride on the Star Ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island...


Once on the main island, it was a short subway ride and walk to our dinner venue.  Along the way, there were a ton of farm markets on each corner selling fresh fruits and vegetables.  I forget how much I miss our farm markets in the off season...


I don't have pictures of dinner, but my friend, who is from Hong Kong, took me to a smoked goose and crab shop that him and his family have been going to for years.  We were served a plate of thinly sliced smoked goose with an Asian vinegar dipping sauce that was heavenly.  We also had local crab, sauteed baby spinach and other assorted vegetables.

The seafood was incredibly fresh.  How fresh?  See for yourself...



With my belly full, I went back to my hotel and prepared for round two on Sunday...

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

3 comments:

  1. Looks like I am already following you. Hong Kong sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like amazing fun being able to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More to come tomorrow gentlemen. Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete