Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I Rubbed my Butt for at least Two Minutes...

Then I covered it with mustard and let sit overnight, but lets go start back at the beginning, shall we?

I have modified my brisket technique for competition which has a higher cook temperature at the start.  Since I use one smoker for competition, I wanted to see how these temperatures affected my pork butt results.  I have heard about people cooking their pork in the same matter.  So, into the kitchen and into what has now become my R&D unit, my Stumps Baby.

First, I made a fresh batch of our Butt Rub and then a batch of our injection.  Recipes below:

Three Dogs BBQ 2012 Pork Butt Injection

Ingredients:
10 Ounces Apple Juice
Tbsp Rub
Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Tbsp Kosher Or Sea Salt


Three Dogs BBQ 2012 Pork Butt Rub

Ingredients:
1 Cup Turbinado SugarGround
Tbsp Paprika
4 Tbsp Granulated Garlic
4 Tbsp Mild Chili Powder
3 Tbsp Black PepperGround
3 Tbsp Kosher Or Sea Salt
2 tsp Celery SeedGround
1 Tbsp Dry Mustard
1 Tbsp Onion Powder

Then, I took my pork butt and inspected for silver skin, blood, or any bone fragments...


I thought there was too much fat on the cap, so I trimmed of a decent amount of fat, leaving between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch on top...


Then, I throughly injected and rubbed the pork butt...


Then I applied a healthy coating of yellow mustard to promote bark formation and add a bit of a vinegar tang...


I then wrapped in some grocery bags and placed in the refrigerator for overnight happy time...

In the morning, I started the fire in the Baby and brought the temperature up to 325 F.  While I was waiting on the fire, I placed the butt in a pan and inserted the thermometer...


Once the fire was at temperature, I placed some hickory and peach in the ash pan and put the butt on the third rack down on a four rack Baby.  Fat side was up...

After 1 hour at 325 F, I lowered the pit temperature to 250 F, and flipped the butt over, fat side down...


Once the butt reached 175 F internal temperature, I placed in a foil pan and wrapped it tight.  Then, I cooked until the internal temperature was 195 F...


Once the butt hit 195 F, I wrapped the whole pan with towels and placed in a cooler to rest.  

After two hours of resting, here was the final product...


I formed a nice crispy bark and there were lots of juices in the foil pan to make a dipping sauce that I have not quite perfected yet.  

I did not get pics of the pulled product.  I completely forgot, but the meat pulled nicely and the chunks were tender and moist.  Overall, the R&D session was a success!

Thanks for stopping by...

Bill

4 comments:

  1. Bill, after viewing this wonderful post, I think I need a good butt rubbing also. Thanks for this.
    (:{

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rueben, I thought that the title might be an eye grabber for sure. Glad you approve ;)
      Any cooking plans for the weekend?

      Have a good one,

      Bill

      Delete
  2. I love smoking pork butt. I will have to try injecting. I'll bet it makes a big difference. I roast whole pigs (see my blog post on this) and ever since I had one injected by the butcher shop I'll never go back to non injected.

    ReplyDelete